Re: [announce] [patch] NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 04:45:16 EST

* Brian Gerst <bgerst@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wine breaks because of the part of exec-shield that relocates shared
> libs to low addresses, where the (stripped) Windows binaries expect to
> be loaded at. NX stack doesn't affect it.

I think Wine could get around this by creating a dummy ELF section in
the Wine binary that covers the first 1GB or so. Wine could still use
ordinary dynamic libraries - those would go above that 1GB. Then once
Wine has loaded up it can munmap() that first 1GB.

(this would not work if Wine has to dlopen() new libraries after this
phase - does that happen?)

Ingo