Re: why swap at all?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 08:39:37 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:
On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 08:31:26AM -0400, Piszcz, Justin Michael wrote:

If I have 16GB of ram should I use swap?
Would swap cause the machine to slow down?

Yes. You want swap so you can physically relocate anonymous pages in the
rare case one ends up somewhere it could cause memory pressure against
allocations that can only be satisfied by a restricted range of memory.

It would seem that the o/s has enough information to separate pages into categories such as 'part of a program,' 'unwritten user write() data,' 'user read() data sequential," 'user read data random' (read after seek) and the like. It would be nice if admins could do tuning on how the o/s weights giving these memory. The swappiness tuner is certainly a start, in practice it does help with atypical loads.

And Nick's latest stuff against 2.6.7-rc1-mm1 certainly seems to work very well on my little 96MB slow box with a few dozen windows open. I would call it the best I've run on this box, ever.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)