Re: NFS client behavior on close

From: Simon Kirby
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 10:48:35 EST

Hi Trond,

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:55:27PM -0700, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> P? m? , 31/05/2004 klokka 14:38, skreiv Simon Kirby:
>
> > Is the NFS client required to write all data on close?
>
> Yes. That is the basis of the NFSv2/v3 caching model...

In that case, is there any reason why we would ever want to wait
before sending data to the server, except for a minimal time to allow
merging into wsize blocks? With no delay, avoiding the write to disk
for temporary files can still happen on the server side (async).
Mass file writes from a single thread should be faster if the client
write buffering is minimized.

Perhaps there is no way to easily separate the NFS client case from
the normal page cache behavior?

Simon-