Re: Problem with ioremap which returns NULL in 2.6 kernel

From: Markus Lidel
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 09:13:58 EST

Hello,

Jeff Garzik wrote:
My preferred approach would be: consider that the hardware does not need the entire 0x8000000-byte area mapped. Plain and simple.
This is a "don't do that" situation, and that renders the other questions moot :) You should only be mapping what you need to map.
Okay, i'll let try it out with only 64MB.
Why do you need 64MB, even? :)
I don't know how much space i need :-D But why does the device set the size to 128MB then?
Devices often export things you don't care about, such as direct access
to internal chip RAM.
Look through the driver that figure out the maximum value that the
driver actually _uses_. There is no need to guess.

Okay, i've looked at it, but i don't think i could simply use less space, because (if i understand the I2O spec right :-D) the controller returns me a address inside this window, where i could write the I2O message. So i ask the controller, where do you want my request, then he tells me a address...

If i only ioremap 64MB, and the controller tells me write at 80MB, i'm in deep trouble :-D

size = dev->resource[i].end-dev->resource[i].start+1;
You should be using pci_resource_start() and pci_resource_len()
to obtain this information.

Yep, thanks, but a patch for this is already send :-)

Best regards,

Markus Lidel
Markus Lidel (Senior IT Consultant)

Shadow Connect GmbH