Promise PDC20378 Raid Accelerator

From: Michael De Nil
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 14:30:20 EST

Hello everyone,

While googl'ing around on linux-support for the Promise PDC20378 Raid
Accelerator, I found some contrary messages...

- Tyan tells me that Promise only provides closed source modules for the
latest RH & Suse kernels. They also told me that there is no way to use
sata raid under linux when not using standard rh or suse kernel.

- On http://www.busybox.net/pdc-ultra-1.00.0.10.tgz, there seems to be
a free driver by Promise.

- Then, on http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html I read:
Promise FastTrak SATA150, SATA150 TX2, SATA150 TX2plus, SATA150 TX4,
SATA150 SX4, SATA378, and Ultra 618 series (e.g., PDC20621, PDC20275,
PDC20618, PDC20318, PDC20319, PDC20375, PDC20378, and PDC20376 chips) ?
the sata_promise driver in Jeff Garzik's libata driver set provides
beta-level support a/o 2004-02-25 (included in kernel 2.6.x). Alleged RAID
is proprietary software RAID: Proprietary drivers from the manufacturer
are available, as are instructions. An now-unmaintained 2003-02 i386
binary driver from the manufacturer (often claimed in error to be open
source; people being fooled by its source-code wrapper) is also available.

- ...

Can someone tell me if I will be able to run 2 SATA discs on a raid1 with
this chip, and if yes, what driver you would prefer? I am a litle bit
afraid for using non-stable drivers... ;)

Thanks

Michael De Nil