Re: why swap at all?

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 14:07:32 EST

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:36:23 +0200, FabF said:

> I guess we have a design problem right here.We could add per-process
> swappiness attribute.That swap thread becomes boring coz we're looking
> globally what's going wrong locally.

Hmm.. do we need to worry about the same DoS issues we need to worry about with
mlock and friends? I know I can trust myself to not do stupid things to said
flags on my laptop (well... not twice anyhow ;). On the other hand, I have
systems with clueless users, and the even more dangerous half-clued users. And
then I have a bunch of machines in our security lab, where Bad Things happen
all the time...