Re: RH's noninteractive config patch

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 13:16:28 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Arjan said you some objections against RH's current noninteractive
> config patch? I'd really love to see something like it included
> because it greatly helps packagaing the kernel. Patch from their
> current RPM is below:

conf.c is already heavy overloaded and I'd rather add a separate querytool
(which could also answer such burning questions as "what keeps that damn
config symbol selected?"). IIRC the RH build first checks, whether the
.config is valid, which can basically be done with "make silentoldconfig
>& /dev/null" and printing the config symbols can be done with a separate
tool. The Kconfig back end is a library to make this as simple as
possible.

bye, Roman