Re: why swap at all?

From: Robin Rosenberg
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 07:28:54 EST

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 13.57, Lenar Lõhmus wrote:
> jlnance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >I'm not sure. Copying a file is a pretty good indication that you
> >are about to do something with either the new or the old file.
>
> Like taking the new file with me on USB dongle and deleting old one?
> Caching the file really doesn't help in this case.

No, and most file copies are not to be used in the "near" future. I.e. on
my machine. Caching on the second read (close in time) is ok, or if there
are unused ram, but paging out things in use is bad. It's much more likely
that the page allocated to a program will be used than a newly read or written
file.

Ofcourse your milega may vary. I'm thinking of my desktop now.

-- robin