Re: I would like to see ReiserFS V3 enter a feature freeze realsoon.

From: Chris Mason
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 06:41:29 EST

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 12:48, Hans Reiser wrote:
> While I like and appreciate the data journaling stuff, and I think it
> should go in, real soon now I think we should avoid adding new features
> to V3. Let the mission critical server folks have a reiserfs version
> that only gets bug fixes added to it, and let V4 be for those who want
> excitement.
>
> Are there any things which Chris and Jeff think should go in besides
> data journaling/ordering and bitmap algorithm changes?

We've got io error fault tolerance that needs to go in after the barrier
code has stabilized. I can't promise that I'll never making another
change in there, but my goal is to keep them to a minimum.

> Also, I would like to see some serious benchmarks of the bitmap
> algorithm changes before they go in. They seem nice in theory, and some
> users liked them for their uses, but that does not make a serious
> scientific study. Such a study has a high chance of making them even
> better.;-)

Some benchmarks have been posted on reiserfs-list, but I'd love to
coordinate with you on getting some mongo numbers. I can spout off a
long list of places where the code does better then the original v3
allocator, but that's because those were the ones I was trying to fix
;-)

> zam, I view you as the block allocator maintainer, please review that
> bitmap code from Chris.
>
> Chris and Jeff, can you propose a benchmarking plan for the bitmap code?

A good start would be to just rebenchmark against v4.

-chris