Re: 4k stacks in 2.6

From: Brian Gerst
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 09:21:07 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 02:45:51PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

are a bit belated. I only reacted to Andrea's mail to clear up apparent
misunderstandings about the impact and implementation of this feature.

note that there is something relevant to improve in the implementation,
that is the per-cpu irq stack size should be bigger than 4k, we use 16k
on x86-64, on x86 it should be 8k. Currently you're decreasing _both_
the normal kernel context and even the irq stack in some condition.
There's no good reason to decrease the irq stack too, that's cheap, it's
per-cpu.

The problem on i386 (unlike x86-64) is that the thread_info struct sits at the bottom of the stack and is referenced by masking bits off %esp. So the stack size must be constant whether in process context or IRQ context.

--
Brian Gerst