Re: Distributions vs kernel development

From: Martin Schlemmer
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 12:56:12 EST

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 10:22, Rene Rebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:17:21 +0200,
> Martin Schlemmer <azarah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 11:13, Rene Rebe wrote:
> >
> > > But the last time I took a look not even an installer or such. +
> > > Gentoo has no support for custom modifications not even thinking about
> > > a way to group such custom modifications / build configuration into a
> > > well defined way to form a distribution. + ROCK Linux has a real
> > > sandbox build environment, not this optimization via CFLAGS, and so on
> > > Gentoo wannabe.
> > >

> > Weird .. last time I checked, Gentoo sandbox was originally derived from
> > ROCK Linux's sandbox wrapper ....
>
> Interesting ,) I did not know Gentoo copied ROCK Linux code, too.

Yeah, well, started out that way, as G. Bevin who wrote it at the
time, came from ROCK Linux (user I think). I do not think it resembles
it much, if at all anymore though, and I know some additions have
been added that you guys might think about, like also hooking execve
(meaning subsequent bash's will still have LD_PRELOAD=sandboxlib
in env, and if make/whatever sets LD_PRELOAD, the wrapper will add
the sandboxlib back, etc), and one or two others I think.

Regards,

--
Martin Schlemmer