Re: 2.6.6-rc3-mm2 (4KSTACK)

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 15:42:35 EST

Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> writes:

> That was not really my point, consider any memory allocation on the
> stack which is being replaced with an allocate to save space. Then replace
> the saved stack space with the potential stack space used to
> free memory by writing it out via a filesystem. You cannot make all
> the allocations in the kernel GFP_NOFS.

I suspect making memory reclamation less multithreaded (doing
it in specialized threads only) would be actually a good thing.
I remember there were lots of races in the past with too many
memory reclaimers in parallel that were just papered over with
various hacks. Maybe doing it with less threads would make
this all a bit more controlled.

The question is just how many threads it would need and if
any of the existing threads can do the job.

Overall it sounds more like 2.7 material.

-Andi