Re: swsusp documentation updates

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 16:05:42 EST

Howdy.

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 20:11, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > +There are two solutions to this:
> > > +
> > > +* require half of memory to be free during suspend. That way you can
> > > +read "new" data onto free spots, then cli and copy
> >
> > Would you consider adding:
> >
> > (Suspend2, which allows more than half of memory to be saved, is a
> > variant on this).
>
> How would you like this added?

Well, I was thinking of simply adding the above in brackets on the same
or the next line.

> swsusp2 shares this fundamental limitation, but does not include user
> data and disk caches into "used memory" by saving them in
> advance. That means that limitation goes away in practice.
>
> And perhaps you want to write "What is swsusp2?" question/answer?

I'm avoiding calling it swsusp2 because 'swsusp' is unpronouncable. It
also gets different interpretations: suspend2 isn't 'swap suspend'
because it's not inherently limited to saving to swap. 'software
suspend' is too long and doesn't seem to occur as quickly. Thus I'm
simply using suspend2.

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel & Michelle Cunningham
C/- Westminster Presbyterian Church Belconnen

Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur
with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given credit.