Re: 2.6.6-rc3-mm2 (4KSTACK)

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 15:31:36 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Dominik Karall <dominik.karall@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 10:31, you wrote:

+make-4k-stacks-permanent.patch

Fill my inbox.

Hi Andrew!

Is there any reason why this patch was applied? Because NVidia users can't work with the original drivers now without removing this patch every time.

We need to push this issue along quickly. The single-page stack generally
gives us a better kernel and having the stack size configurable creates
pain.

Add my voice to those who don't think 4k stacks are a good idea as a default, they break some things and seem to leave other paths (as others have noted) on the edge. I'm not sure what you have in mind as a "better kernel" but I'd rather have a worse kernel and not have to check 4k stack as a possible problem before looking at other things if I get bad behaviour.

Reliability first, performance later. We've lived with the config for a while, pain there is better than pain at runtime.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)