Re: mmap returns incorrect data

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 10:52:52 EST

Russell King wrote:

This is an IDE driver bug - it performs PIO but does not ensure that the
individual pages are properly flushed to RAM before telling the kernel
that the IO is complete. (If someone wants to disagree, look at how
rd.c does flush_dcache_page, and see previous discussions on lkml
concerning this.)

From what I could google from previous discussions, this bug affects ARM architectures but not x86. Am I correct in assuming this?

Please note that I'm not implying that since it doesn't affect x86, then it's ok. I've already tried linux on an iPaq 3970 and it runs great! I really feel that one of the Linux's strenghts is that it can run almost anywhere :)

It is just that I'm responsible for a project where we use a compact flash as storing device on an x86 system, and I would sleep better if this bug doesn't affect our system directly.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com
"In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"