Re: 2.6.6-rc3-mm2

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 10:34:52 EST

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 01:31:35AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>static-define_per_cpu-vs-modules-2.patch
>
> Work around relative address displacement problems on s390.

I'm not happy with this one. It prevents perfectly valid optimizations
that become more important with modern compilers because of s390 brokenness.

Of the options listed in the patch description (why the heck didn't it ever
make it to a mailinglist??) the options to avoid the static effect in s390
code looks most appealing but hard to implement to me, and if it doesn't
work out we'll probably have to do the STATIC_DEFINE_PER_CPU variant.