Re: [ckrm-tech] Re: [RFC] Revised CKRM release

From: Shailabh Nagar
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 19:20:08 EST

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 04:25:21AM -0400, Shailabh Nagar wrote:

The Class-based Resource Management project is happy to release the
first bits of a working prototype following a major revision of its
interface and internal organization.

The basic concepts and motivation of CKRM remain the same as described
in the overview at http://ckrm.sf.net. Privileged users can define
classes consisting of groups of kernel objects (currently tasks and
sockets) and specify shares for these classes. Resource controllers,
which are independent of each other, can regulate and monitor the
resources consumed by classes e.g the CPU controller will control the
CPU time received by a class etc. Optional classification engines,
implemented as kernel modules, can assist in the automatic
classification of the kernel objects (tasks/sockets currently) into
classes.

Cool!

New in this release are the following:

rbce.ckrm-E12:

Two classification engines (CE) to assist in automatic classification
of tasks and sockets. The first one, rbce, implements a rule-based
classification engine which is generic enough for most users. The
second, called crbce, is a variant of rbce which additionally provides
information on significant kernel events (where a task/socket could
get reclassified) to userspace as well as reports per-process wait
times for cpu, memory, io etc. Such information can be used by user
level tools to reclassify tasks to new classes, change class shares
etc.

It sounds to me the classification engine can be moved to userspace?

Such "classification" sounds a better suited to be done there.

I suppose it could. However, one of our design objectives was to support multi-threaded server apps where each thread (task) changes its class fairly rapidly (say every time it starts doing work on behalf of a more/less important transaction). Doing a transition to userspace and back may be too costly for such a scenario.

There might also be some concerns with keeping the reclassify operation atomic wrt deletion of the target class...but we haven't thought this through for userspace classification.

Note: I haven't read the code yet.

Why just read when you can test as well :-) We just released a testing tarball at http://ckrm.sf.net.. any inputs, bugs will be most welcome !

Looking forward to more inputs,
-- Shailabh