Accessing sysenter page by kernel syscalls

From: Petr Vandrovec
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 11:57:04 EST

Hi,
is there any reason why copy_from_user does not punch hole in
kernel space to get it possible to access sysenter page? I do not think
that it would add too big overhead to copy_*_user (which is already long),
but I cannot think about any other reason why sysenter page is not
accessible through write().

Today I wanted to confirm whether my kernel uses sysenter or int 0x80,
and I found that simple program below does not work and I had to copy page
first to some temporary location, and then write it from this temporary
location to stdout.

void main(void) {
write(1, (void*)0xFFFFE000, 4096);
}