hang with 2.4.26 copying to loopback device

From: Julian Bradfield
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 16:47:24 EST

I'm running a vanilla 2.4.26 kernel (on a rather old distro, Mandrake
9.0).
I have large (6GB) file on a remote NFS server (running 2.4.18), on
which
there is a file system that I'm mounting via loopback.
When I copy to this looped back filesystem, I get a hang after a few
megabytes. After the copy hangs, I move the cursor around and soon X
freezes as well. I can, however, reboot via sysrq.

I've seen several reports a couple of years ago of deadlocks in
loopback, but nothing recently that I can find via searching.
Is there anything currently known to be an issue, or should I start
preparing a proper report?