Re: arch/ia64/ia32/binfmt_elf32.c: elf32_map() broken ia64 build_and_ boot

From: John Reiser
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 09:13:05 EST

Paul Jackson wrote:
Not only don't the bssprot patches in Andrew's 2.6.6-rc2-mm2 not build,
they don't boot on SGI's SN2 ia64 with sn2_defconfig. If I remove these
4 bssprot patches, then 2.6.6-rc2-mm2 builds (with the easy build fixes
already understood earlier this week) and boots on SN2 ia64 with
sn2_defconfig.
[snip]
But trying to boot the resulting kernel on an SGI SN2 system fails. The
boot successfully prints out:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 336kB freed

but freezes prior to displaying the next line expected:

INIT: version 2.85 booting

I have to reset instead at this point.

On this system the program /sbin/init is the following type:

/sbin/init: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, IA-64, version 1 (SYSV),
for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

This indicates a problem with the very first execve() and/or its shared
libraries. It is likely that printk() of the arguments and results
to elf_map() and load_elf_interp(), both in fs/binfmt_elf.c,
will aid in finding the problem. This I would do, if I had hardware.

Are there any reports, either success or failure, for any other 64-bit
architecture?