workqueue and pending

From: Mikkel Christiansen
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 06:38:55 EST

Hi

We're trying to use the workqueue interface for scheduling a delayed gargage collector.
Since we only need a single delayed thread we used the DECLEARE_WORK macro.

The problem is that once we call cancel_delayed_work we can't schedule work again.

Having looked at the code i noticed that cancel_delayed_work only deletes the timer but
doesn't set clear the "pending" bit, thus any call to schedule_delayed_work is ignorred.

Example:

static DECLARE_WORK(tft, timeoutfun, NULL)
.
.
.
schedule_delayed_work(&tft, 1*HZ);
cancel_delayed_work(&tft);

<do some work>

tft.pending = 0; / / if we dont clear pending no work can be scheduled
schedule_delayed_work(&tft, 1*HZ);
return 0;

End example

Setting tft.pending is a rather ugly solution - shouldn't it be cleared by
cancel_delayed_work?, or are we using the interface in the wrong way?

Cheers
Mikkel