Re: Error in installing kernel 2.6.5 compiled with GCC 3.4.0 and -mregparm=3

From: Peter Osterlund
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 06:27:07 EST

mikeb1@xxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Berger) writes:

> I get following error in installing kernel 2.6.5 compiled with GCC
> 3.4.0 and -mregparm=3.
>
> [root@Loki linux-2.6]# make modules_install
> INSTALL drivers/block/loop.ko
> [root@Loki linux-2.6]# make install
> sh /home/chewie/work/kernel/linux-2.6/arch/i386/boot/install.sh 2.6.5
> arch/i386/boot/bzImage System.map ""
> All of your loopback devices are in use.
> mkinitrd failed

I recently got the same error when I installed a reconfigured version
of the 2.6.6-rc3 kernel while already running another configuration of
the same kernel version.

What happens is that "make modules_install" installs a new loop driver
built for the new kernel, but when you then run "make install",
mkinitrd loads the loop driver. The result is that the new loop driver
gets loaded into the old kernel, and depending on what configuration
options you changed, this may or may not work. In my case I got an
oops in lo_open().

Maybe something similar is happening in your case.

--
Peter Osterlund - petero2@xxxxxxxxx
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340