Kernel tainting - Binary modules - Proprierty code.

From: Nick Warne
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 13:58:52 EST

Hello all,

This mail is a not a kernel issue, but after the recent "\0" episode
I feel I need to 'show all'. Bear with me please.

I purchased a new Zoom X5 DSL router (Conexant chipset, unknown
firmware).

It has, and still does have a severe security problem 'as sold' right
now off the shelf.

My ticket and Zoom Tech replies follow, but AFASIK they don't give
two bloody hoots about it - and keep closing the ticket as 'solved'.

If this was open source it would be fixed in a few hours (by me
even!). As it is, no hope. But I did fix it by using Micronet
firmware (alas still closed source) firmware and flashing it (whilst
closing my eyes).

So, what hope does it give when we find closed source doing stuff
that it shouldn't and then/but/have closed source binaries as
modules?

Nick

The full ticket below edited only to remove pertinent info. Read
from bottom up.

============= Zoom Tech Stuff ===============

We have not heard from you concerning your request for support in the
72
hours since we sent you a response. Consequently, we have changed the
status of your question to SOLVED.

You may also update this question by replying to this message.
Because
your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply
in
the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message
will be
discarded. [===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

If your issue remains unresolved, please update this question at
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Question Reference #040413-000012