Re: Problem spawning init from script

From: Joe Schulz
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 10:25:35 EST

On Fr, 2004-04-30 at 23:14, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>
> This typically means that process #1 exited. Kernel does not like that.
> I always use 'exec /path/something' as the last command in my sh scripts
> which I start instead of 'standard' /sbin/init.
>
> Post your script.

I have found the reason. Due to a linking problem, the exec'ed process
always quietly died. Of course only in the boot process, not during
dry-run testing. So I had falsely assumed that exec'ing from #1 might
always lead to a panic if you don't use the initrd procedure.

Thanks four your kind advice.

br, Joe