Re: 2.6.6-rc{1,2} bad VM/NFS interaction in case of dirty page writeback

From: Nathan Scott
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 20:56:09 EST

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:07:15PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not yet sure where I'm heading with revamping xfs_aops.c, but what
> > I'd love to see in the end is more or less xfs implementing only
> > writepages and some generic implement writepage as writepages wrapper.
> Any code which implements writearound-inside-writepage should be targetted
> at a generic implementation, not an fs-specific one if poss. We could go

Another thing I think XFS could make good use of on the generic
buffered IO path would be mpage_readpages and mpage_writepages
variants that can use a get_blocks_t (like the direct IO path)
instead of the single-block-at-a-time get_block_t interface thats
used now. The existence of such beasts would probably impact the
direction xfs_aops.c takes a fair bit I'd guess Christoph?

cheers.

--
Nathan