Re: File system compression, not at the block layer

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 17:55:24 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

Well, why not do the compression at the highest layer?
[...] doing it transparently and for all files.

http://e2compr.sourceforge.net/

It's been done (see the above URL), but given how cheap disk space has
gotten, and how the speed of CPU has gotten faster much more quickly
than disk access has, many/most people have not be interested in
trading off performance for space. As a result, there are race

Is CPU_speed / disk_throughput increasing? If so, compression
might help once again. CPU_speed / net_throughput probably is
increasing, so compressedNFS would probably make sense.

I've always felt that way, but every time I mention it, people tell me it's not worth the CPU overhead. For many years, I have felt that there should be an IP socket type which was inherently compressed.