Re: speed interface ethernet 10/100Mbit/seg

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 23:54:12 EST

Hi,

you can read several time the same file, it should be cached after the first
read if it can fit in memory (eg not more than a few hundreds megs).
You can also test your interface with FTP. On the client side, you should
send it to /dev/null to avoid disk I/O. :
ftp> bin
ftp> recv XXX /dev/null

and if you have netcat (nc), this is even easier : copy a large block of
zeroes on the network and time it :
server> dd if=/dev/zero bs=16k count=10000 | nc -lp4000
client> time nc server 4000 | wc -c
=> you'll read 160 MB, you divide by the number of 'real' seconds and it
gives you the number of megabytes per second on the network.

Regards,
Willy