RE: persistence of kernel object attribute ??

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 13:35:14 EST

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Smart, James wrote:

> Yes - I was well aware of this, and considered it an "automation" of the
> user funciton.
>
> Unfortunately, this won't work, as it doesn't address the case where the
> driver is part of the boot process (e.g. it's the hba used to reach the boot
> disk). I'm looking for something that addresses this too..

In that case, the "registry" won't work either. If you can't
access the file-system that contains the "registry" (it's just
a corrupt file), to get the bits necessary to turn on your
controller, then you need to use a serial EEPROM or some such
as is done all the while.

Over and over again, I hear people who think that you should
be able to open a file from within the code that opens the
file (the kernel). Turns out, you now can. You can create
a task called a "kernel thread". Since it has a context, it
can open a file and read from it (not using any user-mode
interface). But this won't help you either because the
file won't exist until you configure your controller
and it gets mounted.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.24 on an i686 machine (5596.77 BogoMips).