Re: PAT support

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 11:40:03 EST

> This would also be extremely useful on machines with large amounts
> of memory, for write-back mappings. With large amounts but odd sized
> entries it becomes extremely tricky to map all of the memory using
> mtrrs.

Yes agreed. I already had vendors complaining about this.
But for this it will need some more work - the MTRRs need to be fully
converted to PAT and then disabled (because MTRRs have
higher priority than PAT). Doing so is a lot more risky than
what Terrence's patch does currently though. But longer term
we will need it.

Also it will still need to handle overlapping ranges. I suppose
it will need some simple rules like: converting from UC to WC is
always ok.

-Andi