Re: message queue limits

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 10:27:25 EST

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 10:48:28PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Something has to change in the way message queues are created.
> Currently it is possible for an unprivileged user to exhaust all mq
> slots so that only root can create a few more. Any other unprivileged
> user has no change to create anything.
>
> I think it is necessary to create a per-user limit instead of a
> system-wide limit.

Actually, there is no infrastructure to account for per-UID limits right now AFAICS
(please someone correct me) at ALL. We need to account and limit for per-user

- pending signals
- message queues

And all other current limits which are per "struct task".

There is CKRM available, but I suppose its not easily mergeable and not
finished yet.

There was an effort to create simple per-user limits infrastructure called
"userbeans" at some point in 2.3.x development. Maybe it needs to be
resurrected?

This is bad.