FC2T2 shared memory segments cannot be allocated by DB2 V8.1

From: ward
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 08:49:17 EST

I'm running into regular memory related issues with a Fedora Core 2 system
which appears to have been properly configured using generous sysctl.conf
settings.

The symptoms are that I can create a limited number of connections to unique
databases running on this development system and then after about the fifth or
sixth I encounter an error indicating a failure to allocate shared memory
segments.

Running ipcs -m at the time of the error I can see 8 shared memory segments
owned by that userid and 32 total on the system. ipcs -l indicates the
settings I've made to sysctl.conf...

------ Shared Memory Limits --------
max number of segments = 4096
max seg size (kbytes) = 1048576
max total shared memory (kbytes) = 8388608
min seg size (bytes) = 1

The database engine indicates this error in its logs as an occurance of a
Memory allocation failure.

Unsure if this was related to a similar issue which impacts Oracle I explored
various combinations of kernels and patches including support for the patch
to add a sysctl capability to control the disable_cap_mlock feature.

Note that after the occurance of a failure I'm experiencing problems with
the forking of processes. This was seen in kernel compiles and while halting
the system.

Any ideas?