Re: Confused about 2.6 PnP support

From: Adam Belay
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 16:11:18 EST

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 07:05:15PM +0200, DervishD wrote:
> Hi all :)
>
> I'm on the way of upgrading to 2.6.x kernel, and since I don't
> have ISA cards (I don't even have an ISA bus in my mobo), I disabled
> ISA support in my config (CONFIG_ISA), but I've noticed that PnP
> support (CONFIG_PNP) depends on it :?
>
> AFAIK, PnP, strictly speaking, has nothing to do with the PCI
> bus, but I think is common notation to talk about PnP referring
> autoconfiguration of PCI cards, and I want to know if I need to
> select PCI support for having my PCI cards correctly detected and
> configured (currently my BIOS does the work), or if the PnP support
> in kernel 2.6 is just for ISA cards. In addition to this, the PnP
> BIOS support (which I think I may need so Linux correctly gets the
> IO, IRQ and DMA settings for my parallel port) is marked as
> EXPERIMENTAL (at least in 2.6.5)

In this context PnP is refering to configuration of system and ISA
devices. PnPBIOS support should be safe but faults on boot for a few
buggy systems. Because the recovery code has been fixed, this should
be less of a problem. If you see a message indicating that a pnp
device was activated as the parport driver loads then you need PnPBIOS
support to properly use it. If not, then PnPBIOS will still aid in the
device's detection process.

> I want to know if I must tell my BIOS I don't have a PnP OS or
> if, on the contrary, I should tell my BIOS that my OS is not PnP (I
> only use Linux) and deselect PnP support (as well as ISA support) in
> my 2.6.x kernel. Personally, I don't mind setting 'Non PnP OS' in my
> BIOS and remove both CONFIG_ISA and CONFIG_PNP.

If you are using PnPBIOS support then set PNP OS to "yes", otherwise use
"no".

> BTW, ?does Linux support rebalancing of PnP bus resources or I
> better avoid conflicts...?

Yes, see sysfs and drivers/pnp/interface.c. Resources can be reallocated
but only if the device is not bound to a driver (modules are useful for this).

> Thanks a lot in advance :)
>
> Ra?l N??ez de Arenas Coronado

Regards,
Adam