Re: Using compression before encryption in device-mapper

From: Pascal Schmidt
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 10:05:02 EST

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:10:20 +0200, you wrote in linux.kernel:

> Actually (see my reply to Timothy Miller) I really want to do "compression"
> even if it does not reduce space: it is a matter of growing the per-bit
> entropy rather than to gain space (see http://jsam.sourceforge.net).

How is the per-bit entropy higher when the same amount of data (and
thus entropy on that data) is sometimes contained in *more* bits?

I can see the argument if data is really compressed, because then more
bits than would normally fit into, say, a sector, contribute to the
entropy of the final sector.

--
Ciao,
Pascal