Re: reiser4 and megaraid problems with debian 2.6.5

From: Paul Wagland
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 07:39:40 EST

On Apr 14, 2004, at 11:05, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

[ bringing this also on reiserfs ml, a great place for this kind
of posts. this is also the reason of the full quoting. sorry ]

Thanks ;-)

I am using the debian prepared kernel with the debian reiser4 patch. I
made a cursory examination of the patch, and it appears to correlate
fairly closely with the patch from the namesys site.

you forgot to specify version of the patch you are talking about,
currently debian provides two versions. anyway i suppose you are talking
about version 20040326-2, aren't you?

Yes, that is correct.

If I can help debug this situation (I am probably the only person
trying this combination :-) please let me know how I should go about
it.

i'm sorry but i can't help further.

Thanks for the tip... the link that you referred to was most useful. I might now have an idea what the problem might be... Further on in the thread <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=reiserfs&m=108117079808733&w=2> it says that there is something in the patch that "can lead to a dirtied_when in the future, and missed writeback". Well, what happens if the directory that I am missing was in that writeback that got missed?

I will try updating the debian patch myself and give it another test tonight and will report back on my findings. But, before I do so, does it seem likely that this could cause the problem?

Cheers,
Paul