Re: [RFC] extents,delayed allocation,mballoc for ext3

From: Alex Tomas
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 07:07:43 EST

MM> I'm going to assume that there's no way for ext3 without extents
MM> support to mount such a filesystem, so I think this means changing the
MM> FS name. Is there a simple migration path to extents for existing filesystems?

yeah. you're right. I see no way to make it backward-compatible. in fact,
I haven't think much about name. probably you're right again and this
"ext3 on steroids" should have another name.

MM> Similar questions here.

no. this one is backward-compatible and usual ext3 will run ok.
btw, I think it possible to implement few routines that could allow
to exploit delayed allocation and multiblock allocator patches w/o
introducing extents. the most visible effect of the extents is much
faster truncate.

MM> You might also mention that on-disk format issues such as endian
MM> layout are not finalized.

yep. thanks for notice.