Re: Using compression before encryption in device-mapper

From: Guillaume Lacôte
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 05:03:01 EST

> > Oops ! I thought it was possible to guarantee with the Huffman encoding
> > (which is more basic than Lempev-Zif) that the compressed data use no
> > more than 1 bit for every byte (i.e. 12,5% more space).
>
> Makes sense, although I'd like to see the proof first. Shouldn't be
> too hard to do.

I was referring to the paper by Jeffrey Scott Vitter "Design and Analysis of
Dynamic Huffman Codes" (accessible through http://acm.org). It defines a
refinement of the well-known dynamic Huffman algorithm by Faller, Gallager
and Knuth such that the encoded length will use at most _one_ more bit per
encoded letter than the optimal two-pass Huffman algorithm (it is also shown
that the FGK algorithm an use twice the optimal length + on more bit per
letter).

My conclusion comes from the fact that for every text, the optimal two-pass
huffman encoding can _not_ be longer than the native encoding (apart from the
dictionnary encoding).

Actually I plan to implement the easier FGK algorithm first - if the whole
matter makes sense.