Re: [NET] net driver updates

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 13:34:00 EST

Daniel Egger wrote:
On 06.04.2004, at 17:30, Jeff Garzik wrote:

* Francois work on r8169, epic100, sis190: PCI DMA, NAPI, other minor fixes and cleanups

r8169 seems to work though it is not even a tad bit faster
than plain 2.6.5.

Francois is still trying to fix all the vendor-created bugs, so performance is a secondary consideration.

RTL8169 is a nice chipset, though. Robert Ollsson had some nice pktgen numbers for it, IIRC.

Those cards are really driving me nuts. Between two r8169 cards, one
on Athlon with kernel 2.4.24, one on Athlon with 2.6.5 or 2.4.24, I
get 90Mbit/s in one direction and 39Mbit/s in the other using iperf and
TCP. With iperf and UDP they deliver 100Mbit/s resp. 230Mbit/s depending
on the direction. Crosschecking with my PowerBook (OS X) shows that I can
get 844Mbit/s (UDP) or 572Mbit/s (TCP) to one host and 844Mbit/s (UDP) but
only 88Mbit/s (TCP) to the other.

The environment is switched and changing cables and/or ports doesn't
improve the results.

Ideas? (Yeah, I'll get Intel NICs RSN...)

Yeah -- I plan to kill r8169, and use 8139cp.c to drive it instead :)

Jeff