Re: io_apic & timer_ack fix

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 07:21:21 EST

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Ross Dickson wrote:

> > Was it determined that the fix was bogus? damaging? fixable?
>
> I thought the patch was OK with typos fixed.

I consider it final.

> Thomas was tracking down C1 C2 etc states but I do not know the results of
> his search?
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107972277920929&w=2
> Was it a problem only with one machine?

The effect seems impossible, but I can't discuss with facts. I need to
get at AMD processor documents to find out what are the conditions to
switch between the power-save states. Perhaps this is yet another SMM
bug. E.g. the pair of PIC poll I/O accesses interacts with the SMM
somehow.

Unfortunately I lack time to dig into it right now -- perhaps someone
else can do the research?