Re: 2.6.5-mm4

From: Michael Baehr
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 21:43:28 EST

On 2004-04-12 15:48:46 -0500 Marcus Hartig <m.f.h@xxxxxx> wrote:

Sam Ravnborg wrote:

I would not be suprised if NVIDIA (and wmware for that matter) takes some
assumptions which it should not. But I need to find out why it break,
and for that I need more information!

Yes. I had cut off the whole nVidia install tree. The GLX driver are working, but only the kernel module is in /usr/src/nv eg. I change to this dir and type "make install" then the Makefile.kbuild for 2.6 tries to build it against an 2.6 kernel. Goes with all included -mm3 and others here.

LD [M] /usr/src/nv/nvidia.o
/bin/sh: line 1: /usr/src/nv/.tmp_versions/nvidia.mod: No such file or directory Building modules, stage 2.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-mm4'
nvidia.ko failed to build!
make: *** [module] Error 1

strace gives not more.
Also when I set KBUILD_EXTMOD=/usr/src/nv or to new

KBUILD_PARAMS := -C $(KERNEL_SOURCES) M=$(PWD)

in the Makefile of the nVidia source, I get this error above. Hmm.

Marcus
-

I had these problems building nvidia driver and vmware drivers today after I upgraded to mm4 (with love-sources patchset as well). I traced them down to a single change in the kernel Makefile which, after I reversed it, allowed the modules to successfully build (and my -mm4 kernel is happily tainted with them right now).

-export MODVERDIR := .tmp_versions
+export MODVERDIR := $(if $(KBUILD_EXTMOD),$(KBUILD_EXTMOD)/).tmp_versions
+ .tmp_kallsyms* .tmp_version .tmp_vmlinux*

Likely the problem _is_ nvidia and vmware coders making assumptions that they should not. In any case, I'm glad to see others are noticing this problem and it will probably be fixed soon.

This is the sort of error I was getting with nvidia (done manually for clarity):

21:45:09 <@root|/usr/src/linux> SUBDIRS=/usr/src/archives/nvidia/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1/usr/src/nv/ make modules
< bunch of text... compiling, etc... >
LD [M] /usr/src/archives/nvidia/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1/usr/src/nv//nvidia.o
/bin/sh: line 1: /usr/src/archives/nvidia/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1/usr/src/nv//.tmp_versions/nvidia.mod: No such file or directory

Similar error with vmware (and I don't feel like going through the work of reproducing it atm XD)

Cheers,

Mike