Re: fix must_not_trace_exec() test

From: Chris Wright
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 17:05:54 EST

* Andy Lutomirski (luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Olaf Dietsche wrote:
> > Although, I'd rather not lump together unrelated tests without
> > renaming must_not_trace_exec(). Btw, can someone enlighten me what
> > this atomic_read() test is all about.
>
> I assumed that the test was to check if the caller is a thread, but that
> sounds odd -- wouldn't it stop being a thread after the exec anyway?
> Maybe that part happens after compute_creds, so this prevents a race?
> Although I don't see how it could be triggered if the thread never
> entered usermode before getting a new fs/files/sighand.

There's no requirement for CLONE_THREAD when using at least CLONE_FS
and CLONE_FILES. And all of the latter are inherited across execve().
These tests are needed to keep a malicious program from controlling the
setuid program in ways other than ptrace.

thanks,
-chris
--
Linux Security Modules http://lsm.immunix.org http://lsm.bkbits.net