Re: NFS file handle cached incorrectly

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 16:10:01 EST

På m , 12/04/2004 klokka 14:01, skreiv Trond Myklebust:
> The problem here is rather that you are making remote modifications to
> the NFS server's directory within < 1second (which is the resolution on
> "mtime" on Linux 2.4.x) of the previous modification. Linux (and all
> other NFS clients that I'm aware of) uses the mtime in order to decide
> whether or not a file/directory/... has been modified since the cache
> was last updated (unless it is a modification that was made by this
> client).

Clarification: the problem is IOW the fact that the server will not
update mtime for any changes that are made within 1 second of one
another. The same client will work fine with any server that has better
resolution on mtime. Hence the suggestion:

> The only "solution" to your problem here is to upgrade the *server* to
> Linux-2.6.x: the latter has 1 nanosecond resolution on the "mtime", and
> so can register modifications that are far smaller than 1second.

Cheers,
Trond