IO-APIC on nforce2

From: Christian Kröner
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 13:34:53 EST

I got a problem using LOCAL APIC and IO-APIC on my uniprocessor nforce2 board.
With recent kernels (latest -mm and 2.6.5-linus) the timer irq gets set to
XT-PIC, which results in having a constant hi-load of 15% (after booting) to
about 25% (after having the system run about 12 h). Earlier versions of -mm
set the timer-irq to IO-APIC-level (or edge, i dont remember it well) and i
never had any constant hi-load with these versions. Since mainline kernel
versions never ever set the timer irq to IO-APIC-{level,edge} i used to patch
them with the ross' nforce-patches, so that the timer-irq gets to be
IO-APCI-edge, which worked even though the patch applied with offset. Anyways
with the latest mm-kernels these patches dont work anymore. I could apply
them with offset but it seems the code isn't used or something else is wrong
since the timer-irq stays XT-PIC, which results in the problems above. Could
anyone point out, how to resolve this problem or tell me what I could do, to
get my timer-irq right? I'm sure willing to test patches...
Thanks in advance, christian.