Re: amd64 questions

From: J. Ryan Earl
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 11:55:48 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:

It is a subsystem bug really. These subsystems were all designed to
not require emulation, but the designers weren't aware of all the
requirements for this and broke it for AMD64/IA64. Unfortunately the
interfaces were done in a way that it would be very complicated and a
lot of work to write an emulation layer, because they're extremly
emulation unfriendly. Maybe it would be still possible to write an
emulation layer, but easier is it to just use static 64bit executables or hacked 32bit executables.

I don't have any plans to write emulation layers for such hopeless
cases on my own, but just declared these subsystems as broken.

So let me get this straight, we can't use LVM with AMD64 under the 2.6 line either? Or we can if we use AMD64 [DM] libraries with a AMD64 kernel? DM = Device Mapper right?

-ryan