2.6.5 kernel: Unable to mount root fs

From: Anthony DiSante
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 17:28:26 EST

Hello,

I had been running kernel 2.4.22 on a Slackware 8 system (x86). I just compiled and installed the 2.6.5 kernel from kernel.org. Now at boot, I get a kernel panic:

ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
UDF-fs: no partition found (1)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda1

My IDE disk (/dev/hda) has 3 partitions, all of which are ext3, and I do have ext2 and ext3 enabled in the kernel. Here's all the IDE stuff that I've enabled in the kernel config; anything missing?:

CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO=y
CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

Here's my lilo.conf:

boot = /dev/hda
vga = 0xf01

image=/boot/bzImage.20031026
label=2.4.22
root=/dev/hda1
read-only
ramdisk=30000

image=/boot/bzImage.2.6.5
label=2.6.5
root=/dev/hda1
read-only
ramdisk=30000

The 2.4.22 kernel works fine; the 2.6.5 kernel panics at boot.

I did some searching and found 3 solutions, but none of them worked for me:

- enabled "PC BIOS" support in Partition Types -> Advanced
- added "acpi=no pci=noacpi" on the boot line
- enabled Pseudo filesystems -> /dev file system support (OBSOLETE)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/