Re: NUMA API for Linux

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 15:25:40 EST

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 03:20:22PM -0400, Rajesh Venkatasubramanian wrote:
> 8 extra bytes for prio_tree. If anon_vma is merged, then I can easily
> point my finger at 12 more bytes added by anon_vma and be happy :)

those 12 more bytes payoff providing better swapping performance, handle
mremap transparently and make the code scale better, allowing even to
_trivially_ move the page_table_lock into the vma without any downside
(I mean performance downside, per-vma lock will cost one more bit of
info in every vma).

There's no way to remove those 12 bytes without falling in the downsides
of anonmm.

I don't see a real need to shrink the size of the prio_tree right now
though if something useless and can be removed that's fine with me, what
I'm trying to tell is that pointing the finger at 12 bytes of anon_vma
doesn't sound a good argument since there's no way to remove them
without falling back in the anonmm downsides.