Re: capwrap: granting capabilities without fs support

From: Stephen Smalley
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 11:58:25 EST

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 10:07, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> When I have time (hopefully real soon now), I'll post a patch to actually fix
> capabilities. With that patch, this can be a trivial wrapper script instead of
> a kernel module. Note that this could be _very_ dangerous if glibc does the
> wrong thing (I don't know whether it does, though).

The security_bprm_secureexec hook can be used to cause the AT_SECURE
flag to be set in the ELF auxiliary table, and glibc now uses that flag
to determine whether to enable secure mode. You would need to patch
cap_bprm_secureexec to do the right thing, but otherwise the support is
ready. SELinux uses this to enable glibc secure mode for role/domain
changes.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency