Re: finding out the value of HZ from userspace

From: Albert Cahalan
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 18:45:39 EST

> | > Unless there is some hidden feature that lets
> | > me specify the ELF note number directly, no way.
> | >
> | > The sysconf(_SC_CLK_TCK) call does not return an
> | > error code when used on a 2.2.xx i386 kernel.
> | > You get an arbitrary value that fails for ARM,
> | > Alpha, and any system with modified HZ.
> |
> | As Linux is supposed to be POSIX compliant this is a bug and should be
> | fixed.
>

> My understanding (from a few years back) is that Linux is POSIX
> if/when/where it makes sense, but not necessarily POSIX-just-to-be-POSIX.

The fixing has been done.

This is not yet helpful for app developers, because
old kernels and old libraries are still in use.

If you rely on sysconf(_SC_CLK_TCK) to work, then
your software will support:

* all systems with a 2.6.xx kernel
* all systems with a 2.4.xx kernel and recent glibc
* all i386 systems running with the default HZ

That's quite a bit I suppose. Maybe you have no
interest in supporting a 1200 HZ Alpha with an old
kernel or glibc. Maybe you don't care about somebody
running a 2.2.xx kernel with modified HZ.

For the moment, I still care. I won't for long.