Re: sched_yield() version 2.4.24

From: Ben Greear
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 12:57:36 EST

Chris Friesen wrote:

The cpu util accounting code in kernel/timer.c hasn't changed in 2.4 since 2002. Must be somewhere else.

Anyone else have any ideas?

As another sample point, I have fired up about 100 processes with
each process having 10+ threads. On my dual-xeon, I see maybe 15
processes shown as 99% CPU in 'top'. System load was near 25
when I was looking, but the machine was still quite responsive.

I'm guessing this is just an artifact of having lots of processes running
very often and top is just not able to calculate with fine enough
granularity?

This is on 2.4.25 kernel.

Ben

--