Re: 2.6.5-rc2-mm4

From: Dan Hopper
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 19:00:51 EST

Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> remarked:

> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.5-rc2/2.6.5-rc2-mm4/

Hi Andrew,

On a Thinkpad T40p, 2.6.5-rc2-mm4 does not boot successfully,
whereas 2.6.5-rc2 does. All the typical things (ACPI, CPUFREQ, APIC
& IOAPIC, etc.) are built in. The -mm4 kernel config was derived
from the working config for 2.6.5-rc2.

I have to pass the nolapic kernel option to disable the local APIC
in order to successfully boot 2.6.x kernels. It appears that with
2.6.5-rc2-mm4, this option is ignored, or perhaps there's a ordering
issue with when it is checked. With -mm4, a message saying that it
is enabling the local APIC appears _before_ the "Kernel command
line: ... nolapic" line appears.

Without the -mm4 patch, the nolapic command line option is parsed
before it would have tried to reenable the local APIC. With -mm4,
it is parsed after it tries to renable it. Boom, and then it locks
on "Calibrating delay loop...".

Any relevant config options I should try with/without to help narrow
it down?

Thanks,
Dan