Re: "Enhanced" MD code avaible for review

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 21:23:49 EST

Neil Brown wrote:
Choice is good. Competition is good. I would not try to interfere
with you creating a new "emd" driver that didn't interfere with "md". What Linus would think of it I really don't know. It is certainly not
impossible that he would accept it.

Agreed.

Independent DM efforts have already started supporting MD raid0/1 metadata from what I understand, though these efforts don't seem to post to linux-kernel or linux-raid much at all. :/

However I'm not sure that having three separate device-array systems
(dm, md, emd) is actually a good idea. It would probably be really
good to unite md and dm somehow, but no-one seems really keen on
actually doing the work.

I would be disappointed if all the work that has gone into the MD driver is simply obsoleted by new DM targets. Particularly RAID 1/5/6.

You pretty much echoed my sentiments exactly... ideally md and dm can be bound much more tightly to each other. For example, convert md's raid[0156].c into device mapper targets... but indeed, nobody has stepped up to do that so far.

Jeff